Thursday, December 11, 2008

Good on You Texas!! You are Tolerance!!

By the way, I was talking to my sister in Houston, TX. I was telling her about how it generally seems ok to bag Christians up in this neck of the country, but I'd be fearful to let my pro-Jesus feelings widely known.
She told me that she has some LDS friends from NH and then Boston who moved to Texas. Their daughter took a Book of Mormon for show and tell and said "and (my sister's son's name) is in my Sunday school class. She said it was so nice being in a place where they can share something real and meaningful to them, instead of some superficial piece of garbage. "I got this John Stockton bobble-head doll at the Delta Center in Salt Lake City." The class was very respectful and so was the teacher. Isn't this what real tolerance is, not necessarily adhering to some one's belief system, but taking the time to listen and maybe learn something meaningful about someone else? Instead, we have awareness weeks for one group, and then another week for the same group with a different name for a little extra indoctrination, we have green week every other week and oh yeah a "shut the hell up week" for Christians every other week of the year. If you presented a BOM in some parts of the country, namely both coasts, you'd be suspended.
It just cracks me up when I hear how we need to be tolerant and then the same person will throw a conniption fit if someone spontaneously bursts a prayer. "How dare they violate my ears and remind me of an eternal reward."
I remember when I was in Chicago at Great Lakes. I went for an LDS service, but it wasn't at the time they told me so I waited through a baptist service for an hour. They sang a song "King of King and Lord of Lords, glory, hallelujah." Though I was so stressed being away from home, this was a song that warmed my soul, because my mom was baptist and I found peace in it. I also found it to be an interesting service. Even though you don't agree with everything a religion teaches, it can be a learning and even an edifying experience. Like when my wife and I go to the La Sallette Shrine here in Enfield, NH. It is always peaceful to walk around and look at the plants and sculpures. This is what doesn't make sense with the whole liberal cultural revolution. They are supposed to be open-minded, but their heads almost spin off into space when they hear someone pray or worse hear Merry Christmas instead of Happy Holidays in a Wal Mart! Uh, hello? They don't go to Wal Mart because it's evil.
So anyway, props to you Texas! You are truly tolerant and not threatened by religion, even if it is a misunderstood and misrepresented religion.

No comments: